Department of Coaching and Training
Functions of the Department of Coaching and Training
- Conducting professional coaching courses at various levels in various sports for enhanced performance of coaches.
- Conducting seminars, workshops and coaching clinics in diverse sports as approved by NIS.
- Delivery of theoretical and practical knowledge to students via coaching courses at various levels/classes for different sports.
- Conducting weekly aerobics classes for students for enhancement of their fitness status.
- Providing technical support to schools, clubs, states and national athletes in preparation for competitions.
- Providing assistance in the assessment, selection of athletes and coaches for clubs, states and national teams
- Providing assistance in the conduct of seminars, workshops and coaching clinics in diverse sports.
- Producing different calibre of coaches for various sports.
- Training of National Athletes in preparation for competitions
- Conducting physical fitness tests for National Athletes
- Assisting the various Sports Associations in the selection of Coaches
- Assisting the Sports Federations in advisory capacity (technical).
- Conducting, coordinating and supervising students on industrial attachment.
- Assisting Management or any other Unit in the Institute to organize seminars, workshops and conferences.
- Assisting the Admission Committee on matters relating to students’ admission.
- Cooperating with the Academic Board on all academic matters as well as those related to disciplinary issues.
National Diploma in Sports Coaching and Training
The goal of the National Diploma (ND) in Sports Coaching and Training programme is to produce knowledgeable, skilled, creative, and competent diplomates who will support coaches in training athletes and promote their wellness.
The academic requirements for admission into the ND Sports Coaching and Training programme are:
- Five credit passes in Senior Secondary Certificate Examination(SSCE), WASC, GCE, NECO, NABTEB or equivalent in not more than two sittings. The subjects must include: English Language, Mathematics, One science subject (Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science/Geography, Physics), and any other two from Physical Education, Health Science/Health Education, Food and Nutrition and Civic Education.
- Admission will be through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) having met condition in I above and scored up to the requisite cut-off point.
Basic Coaching Certificate
Advanced Certificate in Coaching
Diploma in Coaching
Higher Diploma in Coaching